Success and Happiness: Can You Have One Without the Other?
Is it possible to have both success and happiness? Yesterday I had the opportunity to be a part of a leadership panel where we discussed happiness and how it related to success. I've shared the video below as well as listed some highlights. This is my first recorded and broadcasted Google Hangout; hopefully I've made you proud!
- Alex Barker – The Leadership Dojo
- Brendan Baker – The Start of Happiness
- Ellory Wells – Empoweringthe80Percent
- Jeff Brown – Read to Lead
- Scott Barlow – Happen To Your Career
The video is just under 30 minutes long. I hope you enjoy!
Top 4 things I learned about success and happiness:
- To find your values, you have to be intentional.
- The journey is just as important as the destination.
- Prioritizing and ranking your values can reduce stress.
- Clarity of mind increases performance.
Things I learned from the webchat itself:
- Preparation is key – It was obvious to me that hosts Alex and Brendan had both spent hours getting ready. Preparation and practice are necessary for success; no way around them.
- Have backup equipment – Luckily we all had equipment that worked. Our computers, cameras, and the internet all came together smoothly to connect us with Brendan all the way in Australia.
- Light & sound – I had an overhead light and a lamp off to my left. I think I may need to have light more directly in front. Jeff definitely sounded the clearest with a special microphone. Headphones are a must.
- Camera position – On TV, directors have the luxury of having multiple camera angles to choose from. I only had one. I think next time I'll use my larger monitor instead of my laptop, and mount my Logitech C920 camera on top of it. That way, I'll be looking more level instead of down at the screen.
Question: What are your thoughts on happiness and success? Can you have one without the other? Share your comments with me in the comments below!